Data recovery is a process for recovering data from hard drive of a computer that has been lost due to a system crash or a mechanical malfunction. Data recovery can also be used to retrieve data that has been overwritten or accidentally deleted on a computer. There are companies and people who specialize in recovering data and programs that try to extract data from computers that still have some level of operation and many recovery techniques it yourself.
The reasons that cause a loss of data can be of different nature and origin. The main reasons that can cause data loss are:
- Hardware failure itself . Hard drives our teams are machines so extreme and delicate precision that any slightest bump or a sudden change in temperature can affect its performance and result in data loss.
- Human errors . 30 100 of them are considered caused voluntarily by the user.
- Own system failures or software errors.
- Virus. There are viruses that directly erase the hard disk information (Chernobyl virus or Opaserv, for example), but most of these are designed to cause errors in the software and not the hardware.
- Natural disasters , such as fire or flood.
We can speak of logical faults (derived from the system software and generally recognized and indicated by error messages) and physical breakdowns (which directly affect the hardware and sometimes can be detected by strange noises). Likewise, a logical breakdown can reach result in a physical breakdown. Recoveries physical data type can only be made by companies that have a data recovery laboratory with clean room.
The main physical breakdowns that occur in storage media are: heads and coils, thermal decompensation, electronics and motor drive failure.
Companies specializing in data recovery are the only solution available once “everything else has failed.”
Overall we can say that there is a great lack of data recovery service. The working method of these companies is usually similar worldwide, although five of them differ in Europe (and one of them is in Spain) because they have clean room, which is essential when it comes to providing quality service and confidence .
Issues relating to the confidentiality of data is something that these companies are very present, and there are special clauses stipulated in the contract signed between the company-customer.
However, these companies retrieve data from any device, but not repaired. Once suffers a fault, the devices often remain very unstable and reuse is discouraged.
Follow steps for data recovery
If a loss of information suffers must follow the following steps:
- Keep Calm not to take counterproductive decisions that may affect the process to recover the data.
- Do not restart . If the damage is physical, restarting the computer may aggravate data loss and even cause new faults, to the point of making futile any attempt to recover the data.
- Do not try to reinstall the operating system . In principle, the information is recoverable until it is overwritten and reinstalling programs or the operating system is performed on the device.
- Do not use recovery software if not well aware of the problem , as most commercial programs offer only data recovery solutions to very specific problems.
- Never attempt to open the hard drive . A hard drive is a very complex and delicate device can only be opened by a qualified technicians and the specific conditions that only provide clean rooms.
How to prevent data loss
- Avoid installing and uninstalling programs longer than strictly necessary.
- Keep away team sources that generate magnetic fields.
- Always shut down the computer through the operating system.
- Disconnect the device from the mains when not in use, or placing surge arresters and power stabilizers.
- Keep your equipment away from sources that radiate heat or cold.
- Ensure that the equipment operates in the same position where the hard drive was formatted.
- Install an antivirus and a firewall.
- Update your operating system with the latest security patches.
- Install a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and connect it to the computer.
- Make a security copy.